Friday 7 March 2008

No more kitties

In addition to the two promised Pointy Kitties for my Mum and colleague, I had intended to make one for myself. But I can't be bothered any more.

I love making things according to instruction. I can spend happy, contented hours with colouring-in books, building pre-printed paper automaton, following recipes and making toys according to clever people's patterns, but there comes a time when you want to draw your own pictures, design your own automaton, invent your own cakes and make your own patterns. This is the point at which I have arrived today.

I think this is the right thing for me to do. Of all the little toys I've stitched over the past couple of weeks, the one that makes me the smiliest is pretty, lumpy, badly stitched but beautiful Manon, because she's mine and I made her.

In the meantime, though, and because it will probably take me a very long time to gather the courage to design and make a proper toy, I would like to introduce you to Blue-Pointy-Kitty.



(I decided to go for a high-fashion, heroin-chic style photo shoot this afternoon, making use of the un-carpeted stairs).

Blue-Pointy-Kitty has no nose, mouth or whiskers. This is a deliberate design choice, intended to give her a more graphic, stylistic quality. It has nothing to do with me getting bored.

This is Blue-Pointy-Kitty looking all feeble and pathetic and lost. She's singing quietly to herself - "Halfway down the stairs is a stair where I sit..."

And here are Blue-Pointy-Kitty and Pretty-Green-Pointy-Kitty, both posing for the camera. There will be no more Pointy Kitties after today.

....

(Probably)


No comments: